Sunday, March 17, 2019

Kyoto & Osaka in 5 Days

Drafted this post like over a year ago, so I just wanted to post this last post on my dying blog before moving onto Dayre for future updates. But ugh,  I have to re-edit everything that I typed due to certain changes in my life now so my apologies if the post seems broken.

Edited:
Been toooo lazy to blog and Dayre (rarely too). 
But still, a warm welcome to my more than a year overdued travelogue/itinerary to Kyoto and Osaka in five days. I was still sporting a bob then, my hair has grown immensely since. 
The trip was a graduation present from me to -, before he commenced into the workforce in 2018.
We have since moved on & gave each other our best wishes in early 2019.

Day 1
Plane-fies in the aircraft. (airline lingos have gotten into me)
-deleted-

Mandatory Maccas for breakfast if you're departing from the terminal early in the morning.

Transport
Got the ICOCA card which is a public transport (train, bus, subway, private railways) card that can be used in Japan's Kansai Region which encompasses the major cities like Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Kobe.

And we are off to Kyoto
Changed two trains and the journey was around 1.5 hours from Kansai International Airport (KIX)


Lol me so fugly wo makeup but I kinda look slightly better in a bob if I'm not wearing makeup.
Long hair + bareface = Hantu (ghost lol)


Changing of trains


Alighted at Gion-shijo Station and it was already night time, made our way to our Airbnb which was located in Gion district, a recommended area to stay if you're heading to Kyoto as its the city's most famous geisha's district and the center of its traditional arts.


We quickly made our way to a better rated sushi joint which I could find in our vicinity which was a 10-15 min walk from Gion before all the food shops closes for the day.

Chojiro
103-2 Hashimotocho, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 600-8011, Japan

An affordable and value for money conveyor sushi joint if you're looking for a causal Japanese dining in Kyoto! 
How can sushi go wrong in Japan right?

Convenient marts in Japan r my weakness.

and any Ice-cream in there never fails.

Accomodation
If you guys still do not know what is Airbnb, its paying for an apartment stay with amenities for a few nights stay at super AFFORDABLE prices. Its great for countries with steep hotel prices and is more value for money, as us as travellers usually explore in the day and basically, the hotel is just for you to rest and sleep only.

I always filter out shared house, separate bedrooms etc when I'm booking the apartments online cos its website has such functions and I personally prefer the entire apartment kind of stay. 

Most Airbnb apartments has like reviews and ratings online and you can really pick the one you are most comfortable with! 

If you are a first time airbnb user, head to my page now to sign up and you get a $45 SGD off your first airbnb stay!

Our cosy room in Gion for two nights!

lol sometimes the owners leave these kinda booklets around with some convenient travel tips.

Complimentary portable wifi device that came with this apartment for the stay!

Beer o'clock.

Day 2
Wokeup super early and attempted to do a Geisha makeup look hahaha because...


We were going to rent a couple Kimono outfit and walk around Kyoto for the day! 
Everyone does that there, I think only in Japan and Korea you won't get stared at hahaha.

Remember to book in advance if you're planning on renting a Kimono as you'll always be prioritised with a time slot as compared to the walk-ins! Even though there are many kimono rental stores around Gion area especially, I rather be safe than sorry. 

Wargo Kimono Rental has around 18 outlets all over Japan and their website is rather advance and can be translated from Japanese to English so I managed to choose a kimono plan which best suits us way beforehand!

The outlet I made a reservation from was their Gionshijo Branch. It was surprisingly only a 3 mins walk from my airbnb apartment LOL luckily we stayed at a very accessible area.

Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental
Gionshijo Jissai Building 3F, 7 Yamatocho, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto Prefecture 605-0075, Japan

the dressing area where the very professional hairdresser does your hair & you choose the kimono from the range of kimono your package offers.

I hard a super hard time deciding please lol. I went with a pink kimono (obviously) LOL but if I had a choice I rather something bright and not so pale like a classic red which my package didn't offer.

Cause I opted for the most basic Couple Standard kimono plan.
which was priced at 5,600 yen for two.
and you know us girls, I had a bob hair then but I felt that  a bob in a kimono is sooooo horrible looking LOL. 
I wanted a nice hairstyle so that premium hairdo fare was 1,900 yen
Booking online has an early bird fee of 1,000 yen.
So total 5,600 + 1,900 + 1,000 + taxes = 9,180 yen 

We spent around 115 SGD to rent the kimonos for almost a day, have to return the rentals by 6.30 pm.
Earlier the better. You will spend time (like more than 1 hour) choosing and dressing up, doing a japanese hairdo before heading out as well. 

Do you guys approve of my self drawn geisha makeup?
Used Element of surprise from my fav range of colourpop pressed eyeshadow palettes to create the look. & obviously red was chosen for the lips.

Issen Yoshoku
238 Gionmachi Kitagawa, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0073, Japan

Okonomiyaki for breakfast, spotted this brightly lit stall located at a corner in Gion last night and told myself I have to try it.


Jap style pizza with all the mix of toppings hahaha

Made our way to Inari Station where the famous Fushimi Inari Taisha was located at,
 a 30 mins train ride from Kyoto.

Walking street

Temple area before the shrine



Entrance to Inari Shrine, I swear its flooded with tourists. Literally super crowded, I have no idea how I (and many others) managed to take some shots in there without getting photo bombed.

Think I waited 10000 mins for this snap, hahahahaha one shot then there will be people walking in again.

People everywhere

k give up take the side easier LOL

gave up and went back to the walking street to look for some food.

I love mochis


Went back to Kyoto city center area after and got a hot matcha latte at bucks. 
CAUSE I WAS FREEZING HAHAHAHA you know how thin the kimono was and the weather was so cold, single digit weather. I fell sick after immediately :(
You rly pay for the price of "beauty" lolol

Lets take some time to admire my premium hairdo hahaha

My hair so short she can tie until like that HMM idk how

Nishiki Market
Japan, 〒604-8054 Kyoto Prefecture, Kyoto, Nakagyo Ward, 富小路通四条上る西大文字町609番地

Located at downtown Kyoto,
Nishiki Market (錦市場, Nishiki Ichiba) is a five block long shopping street lined by many shops and restaurants. This retail market specializes in all things food related, like fresh seafood, produce. A place to find seasonal foods and Kyoto specialties, such as Japanese sweets, pickles, dried seafood and sushi.

some famous black pepper buns at the market which was quite overrated haha




some rdm shrine at the end of the market alley

Kichi Kichi Omurice
〒604-8017, Kyoto Prefecture, Nakagyo Ward, Zaimokucho 材木町185-4, Japan

Dinner was at the SUPER famous internet viral sensation Kichi Kichi Omurice who's chef - Yukimura Motokichi wows his guests with theatrics whenever he prepares the omelette dish in his restaurant. 

It was super hard to get a booking, so you have to book months in advance for a seating at their website. I almost couldn't get it but they managed to squeeze in a timeslot for me because I went further ahead to email them!! But I think after hearing my experience maybe some of you would skip this restaurant hahaha

Yukimura Motokichi and bar setting seats for the 'performance'

Can watch my igstories or go youtube watch his viral videos hahaha

okie, the amazing part is when he showcases the perfectly done omelette on the fried rice, slice it and it completely covers and melts on the rice.

tada!

But rly, this is an example of food looking WAY better than it taste. 
Its selling point is that it looks so amazing, so mouthwatering, but when you take a bite of this demi-glace sauced omelette on the fried rice one word will just go into your head which is just - B L A N D. and maybe another (dissapointment).

Even their very normal tasting beef stew had more flavors compared to the omu rice which prolly the sauce used, is also same as the beef stew sauce. lol. 
Dining here is really paying for the performance and useless carbs but seriously, japanese rice with curry at any random jap restaurant over this overrated restaurant anyday :/.

Sorry chef, but this won't be recommended by me at all :/ 
Took a pic with the chef anyways hahaha but can't be posted now cos its not a solo pic lol

streets below at night along our airbnb apartment

grumpy cos i was tired and had a disappointing dinner and more disappointments to come later of the night

We walked into a crowded Izakaya - food was perhaps too authentic and not that fantastic for japanese izakaya bars so I won't be jotting down any addresses.



sake place with different levels and brews of sake


errrr very overpriced sashimi and fried food which was very disappointing despite us still starving after changing out of the super tight kimonos AND after the unfulfilling dinner before


lol i can really eat if I'm not wearing any body hugging clothes LOL

boring scallops and miso brinjal

Day 3
Morning quick bite before the day begins from non other than jap convenient marts

These lockers area at the train stations found easily accessible in Japan everywhere are the saviours for travellers who travel to and fro from cities via trains instead of self-driving so we need not lug our luggages everywhere if we are checking out of out airbnb/hotel for the day but yet still sight seeing around before lugging them luggages again to the next destination :)



Steak Otsuka
Japan, 〒616-8371 Kyoto, Ukyo Ward, Sagatenryuji Wakamiyacho, 21−3

A restaurant I have to reccomend if you are in Kyoto visiting Arashimaya area is this place selling affordable yet delicious wagyu steaks for lunch!!!

Its a short walk from Saga-Arashimaya Station located at a quaint housing area n you can spot the restaurant slowly if you follow the signs!

The restaurant opens at 11 am but I highly recommend you to go before the opening time to put ur name under the reservation boards because due to it popularity the wait can last up to more than an hour if you were to go slightly later. 
Some people might even come as early as 9am to be the very first ones seated lol.


lol using my natasha denona eyeshadow palette and jeffree star gold liquid lipstick that day HAHA
Will you still go out with me when i look like that?




Because we were greedy and indecisive we ordered three sets of meat instead of two!
We had the Roast Beef set A (1700 yen) 
low fat lean beef meat which is served rare but lightly seared

Roast Beef set B (1700)

and not forgetting to try their highest grade A5 Murasawa Steak (6200 yen) which literally melts and disintegrates inside your mouth!!


diedddd from the sirloin. Recommended!

Enroute to the famous Arashimaya Bamboo Grove!
If only my leave wasn't so short I wouldn't have planned the trip to be kind of rushed.
Didn't have time to visit the Arashimaya Monkey Park and had to choose between one of the two! :(

Lunch time dessert lol all the hojicha & other diff tea flavors stacked icecream.
 I love japanese icecream cones

Especially having it in winter.

super good and quaint walk and weather :)







easier to not get photobombed here hahaha



After the morning walk, we were off to Osaka via a railway train 
The journey takes 1-2 hours. Just use google maps to navigate its more than efficient!!!
 @ our Osaka Airbnb




Settled down and we chose to stay near Osaka-Namba station.
Namba/Dotonburi is a high-energy entertainment district which is like the highlighted town area of Osaka filled with shopping and many entertainments!

Look at the crowds!



Famous Takoyaki shop with a longass queue




yummm street food and restaurants everywhere!

Kushikatsu Karuma Namba Honten
1 Chome-5-24 Nanba, Chuo Ward, Osaka, 542-0076, Japan

One of the best foods I had the whole trip in namba!! 
Basically Kushikatsu is just like deep fried skewered food using vegetables meat seafood rice-cake (anything!) 


you order whatever fried skewers you want,

then its accompanied by dipping in the Japanese sweet sauce the restaurant offers!

even normal fried long beans tastes soooo good

fried scallops lol now im hungry :(

OYSTERRR

settings like an izakaya and I had a glass of umeshu w soda (my usual jap drink pick) to go with my meal, I'll definitely be back!

The famous Glico-man giant billboard sign along Dotonburi Canal 
(nice to take pics with the canal in the morning but the sign at night haha!) which every tourist takes photo with in Namba!


took pic with it many times before everytime I go to osaka soooo no solo pics to post here hahaha



snacking errr day long

Day 4

Woke up extra early to spend the entire day at the famous Osaka Universal Studios!



USJapan typically opens between 8:30am -9:30am and closes between 7:00pm - 9:00pm opening hours longer depending on weekends and public holidays. 

This trip was quite impromptu thus we could not get online tickets as they were sold out thus we decided to reach USJ one hour before their opening hour to avoid the crowd. So please plan beforehand if you are visiting during school holidays or peak periods~

Bun for breakfast cos it was freezing cold in the morning and we were starving hahaha

(consisting of different number of rides 3, 4 or 7 you'll able to use the express pass at to take the fast lane to avoid queuing) are sold separately, but I personally feel that you need no buy the express pass if you go during non-peak seasons and if you arrive USJ early.

But there will be a crazy crowd waiting to enter the park already before it opens, so its actually a funny sight to see once the park opening all the school kids/families making a run to the ride they think is the 'best' or 'most popular' so at least you don't have to queue up for the first ride LOL!!

To play it safe, we bought the One Day Pass for 7400 yen each (for adults over 12 years old) and the Express Pass 4 for 9800 yen each (don't think theres a need to get fast track for all the 7 top popular rides - so better research which rides you'll definitely want to sit and opt for the best option!)

lol look at the entry crowd behind my passes LOL

Minion park!!


I forgot if it tasted nice or looked nice

But yeah hi minion fwen




Famous and very crowded Wizarding world of Harry Potter at USJ

finally trying out my butterbeer (non-alcoholic ok)

In winter they will sell hot butterbeer, summer will be the cold version which I think would be nicer hahaha cos everyone raves about this but when I tried it its kinda disappointing I shall stick to normal beers LOL




mini Hogwarts w the attraction ride inside.




ooo the flying car Ron and Harry crashed

Lunch at Louie' NY Pizza Parlor. 
Not bad for USJ's food hahaha accompanied by real beer.







fake hagrid looking guy hahaha

lol shit got eaten by a dinosaur

avada kedavra


I saw naruto and luffy!!!

Muteppou Ramen
1 Chome-5-21 Ebisuhonmachi, Naniwa Ward, Osaka, 556-0013, Japan

Chose to dine at one of Osaka's most famous ramen joints and its definitely more unique than the rest (as I picked from a few options) and not for the faint hearted cos the pork broth here is sooooo thick hahaha




The broth is so thick because its made by boiling pork bone for at least 24 hours and its really super creamy rich and flavourful!!! I saw many Japanese customers even ordering rice to go with the thick broth despite finishing one noodle portion!!

Gyozas here were good too!


Really really good, highly recommended! 
Not your typical japanese ramen since the broth is not the clear kind. SLURPSS

Day 5
Crispy Croissant taiyaki for breakfast :P 
I think they came to Singapore!


Love all sorts of japanese ice-creams even the frozen ones in their marts

Paid a visit to Osaka Castle!


You can catch nice spring blossoms here during spring~




outer moat

Here at Tenjinbashisuji Shotengai shopping street to search for our last meal in Osaka!

Harukoma Sushi (春駒 支店)
5-5-2 Tenjinbashi, Kita-ku, Osaka, Japan
Open hours: Around 11 am – 9:30 pm daily

Really serves one of the most value for money 
(super fresh cos the chefs prepares the THICK and generous cuts of sushi right in front of you)
 in Osaka which I will come back again for!


easy to order english menu~


wewww I'm drooling again..

So fresh I ordered their raw mackerel sashimi (top row on the right) to try 
(I usually take sashimi but stick to tuna or salmon the mainstream kinds) and it was great too!!




more squid and aburi sushis. 
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HAHA
I think the meal cost us around 4000 yen?  which is equivalent to 50++ SGD??

I want moreeeee

haha ok finally im done with 1/1000 of my incomplete travelogues hahahaha and its making me so hungry catch you guys more on my ig handle or dayre~


5 comments:

  1. Impressive blog to read! You can check out this singapore blog about singapore attraction points and travel guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ontdek onze Droogmolens! - Witgoedsite.nl - Droogmolens kopen en de was lekker buiten hangen Wanneer het droog is buiten, geven veel mensen er de voorkeur aan om hun schone was buiten op te hangen.

    Droogmolens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the wonderful information. I appreciate it very much.
    Premier League
    Play Football

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to the authors of the post for such great information. I love your blog post, I have something to share here.
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កាស៊ីណូអនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post, and hope to read more.long stay parking Stansted

    ReplyDelete